1. Past medical treatment experiences|
• Tell me about the types of medical treatments you have tried
• Prompts: Why did you try [names of treatments]? Who influenced your decision? What were your expectations?
• Tell me about your experiences of …. [names of treatments]
• Prompts: Effectiveness/ineffectiveness of treatment? How long effective for? Side effects?
2. Views on medical treatments offered in PRE-EMPT
After undergoing surgery, there are four possible treatments—how do you feel about:
• ‘The pill’
• ‘The coil’
• ‘Depo Provera’
• No treatment
• [For each treatment above] Prompt: (Un)Acceptable? Why? Past experiences? Future hopes? Do you think the treatment would be more effective post-surgery?
• Were there any treatments that you would not accept? Which? Why?
3. Views on medical trials [General]
• What do you think about medical trials?
• What do you think about randomisation?
• Prompts: Understandings of randomisation/how treatment is allocated. Randomisation acceptable to you? Is the possibility of not getting treatment acceptable?
4. Views on participation in PRE-EMPT trial
• What do you think about the PRE-EMPT trial?
• Prompts: Hopes for the trial? Concerns about the trial?
• Why did you take part in the PRE-EMPT trial?
• Prompts: What did you hope to gain from participating? What were your concerns about participating?
• What would be a barrier to you participating?
• Prompts: Personal factors? Time/travel costs? Trial factor? Concerns about treatment availability/randomisation?
• Did you have a preference for which arm you would be randomised to? Why? Why not?
• Is this a worthy trial? Why? Why not?
• How do you feel about the length of the trial (3 years)?
5. Concluding questions
• Is there anything we did not discuss that you would like to talk about?
• Do you have any questions for me?